Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Go home and test a small portion of your soil (Here is a link to show various methods of testing: http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Soil-pH). What are your results; is your soil more acidic or alkaline? Do you feel that you could start and use a home compost pile now? Also discuss any thoughts or questions that you may have had during this weeks presentations or field trips.

Participant

I definitely feel comfortable to compost now! I think I’ll copy the compost system at Millcreek gardens using the pallets. It is also good to know we can buy mass amounts of compost from the landfill to lay down on soil (& super cheap- Hey I’ll shovel into a truck!)

Inactive

I tested the soil in my garden bed with baking soda and vinegar and it came out slightly alkaline, which I think is normal—previously I hadn’t realized the pH levels were so influential so this is good to know! (I’m very new at this.) I really enjoyed the tour on composting and it’s inspired me to get involved in vermiculture. I am renting a property in a very compact but uppity neighborhood and so creating an unsightly and possibly smelly composting bin would be discouraged. A bin of worms would be a small solution to divert food waste that is very doable. Plus, it’s definitely something to pull out at dinner parties.

Participant

I like the option of using common products to test my soil (vinegar and baking soda). I’m familiar with the color difference you can achieve, by using either of these, from works I’ve done dyeing natural fibers in the past. I’ve had a compost bin in my yard for years, though I think we could be more active about working it so that it can produce finished compost more quickly as well as accept more of our waste. It’s amazing how much compost space is needed in a yard to process the leaves, plants and kitchen waste for one home.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.